Wednesday 14 November 2012

Gladiatrix by Linda Gruchy

I'll start off by saying I'm not into historical books, let alone ones from Roman times.  Life of Brian and Spartacus are about all I know of that sort of era.  However I'm a great fan of Linda Gruchy's books, so gave it a go.

It was hard reading at first as it's written in a first person way that is almost being talked at rather than talked to, but once I got "the voice" in my head I got used to it.  Also there was the use of all Roman / gladiator words that I'm not used to.  I suppose if you were the main target audience you wouldn't notice this as you'd be used to it.  There is a glossary in the book, so that would help

I have learnt (not that it took much teaching) that I wouldn't like to live in those days.  Life was hard for most people, especially women.

It was a very interesting story.  I did think of Hippolyte often when not reading the book.

A very different book to Linda Gruchy's normal fare and certainly one I enjoyed reading.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A4EMA28/?tag=jookuf-21



No comments:

Post a Comment