Sunday 9 December 2012

The Ice Diaries by Lexi Revellian

The Ice Diaries is set in London in the near future, but after a pandemic has hit Britain hard and snow has hit even harder.  The snow is 20m high and only the tops of tall buildings poke out.  

The story is told by Tori, who lives alone in a luxury apartment.  She has lost her fiancé and doesn't know if he's dead or alive, but she has gained friends who have set up home nearby and they form an insular community, doing foraging raids on the nearby Argos and other shops.  They can only access the shops by breaking in above snow level and lugging all the stuff up the flights of stairs.

As I was reading the story, I was trying to imagine myself and what I would do.  Would I try to make it to a warmer climate, even though they didn't know if there was anywhere to go to?  Would I risk moving from a safe (for the moment) home?  At some point, things would run out, but would that be before the snow melted?

As with other Lexi Revellian books, this was an easy read.  I enjoyed the characters and could easily put faces to them.  Perhaps the baddies were a bit cartoonish, but I did like the two-facedness of the main baddie.

So yet another good read to go with Lexi's other four books.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A4ZRIRO/?tag=jookuf-21






No comments:

Post a Comment