Thursday 14 March 2013

The Third Rule by Andrew Barrett


I bought this book in it's 3 parts.  I thought it would be like the author's other trilogy, where I'd read one, then read another then come back to part 2.  Nope.  I might as well have bought this version as I couldn't stop reading it.

Some stories with multiple characters' lives beginning to come together have chapters for each character and flit back and fore.  This story spends a lot of time with a set of characters before going onto the next.  Sometimes you forget some of them as the story hasn't dealt with them for a while, but it gives a good depth to parts of the story.  In the first part, there were some characters that I didn't see the point of but after a while they became quite important to the story.

I did find the writing quite visual.  I could see the bruises and the rain and (unfortunately) the mess that the drunken characters got into.

The premise of this story was intriguing.  Three strikes and you are out.  Surely that would stop crime in its tracks.  But things aren't so black and white when there are people after more power.

This was one of those books that I couldn't put down.  My kindle came with me everywhere so I could catch another chapter or even paragraph.

This book is over 800 pages long.  I have been reading more and more shorter stories recently as there's so much good stuff about.  I'm not sure I would have started the omnibus, knowing how long it is, so approaching it in parts got me started.  But as it was, I read all three after each other and it didn't feel like a slog.

Superb.


http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BJM3RI0/?tag=jookuf-21



No comments:

Post a Comment