Tuesday 1 May 2012

Interrogating D.D Chant

This interview's turn is D.D Chant, author of dystopian novels.



How do you strike the balance between writing something you want to write and writing something that people want to read, in terms of the compromises you make, if any?

I try to write books that I would like to read myself. I think that people can tell if you are excited about what you’re writing or if you are trying to write what you think they are going to enjoy….wow, that turned in to a complicated explanation!!!

I was told to write what I knew and though I’ve never been in an apocalypse the feeling of been lost, sad and out of your depth is something that we all can identify with….isn’t it??? Oh well maybe it’s just me!!!


What excites, attracts or appeals to you about the genre(s) you write in.

Hmmm……I write in Dystopian, Historical and Futuristic genres. I like them for the same reasons: because it’s a completely different world that you can escape in to.
Mostly I love never knowing where my stories are going to take me, often I find that my characters take over and my original plot morphs in to something different.


Do you have a box, drawer, folder etc where you keep thoughts and ideas for future stories? Such as names you have come across, bits of dialogue, ideas, characters - even if you have no idea when you might use them? 

I do!!! I have bits stashed EVERYWHERE!!! Names, snatches of dialogue, plots, characters and even made up historys for characters. Often I’ll be banging around the house trying to find that really important scene/bit of information that I put in a really safe place that someone has moved! Only no one has ever moved it and that safe place was filed away carefully on the floor!!!

Sometimes I keep ideas safe in my mind castle ;-P


How much of you is in your characters? Which of your characters is the you that you’d most like to be? Or be with ? 

I have ALL of the good qualities that my heroines have and none of their faults… okay, okay maybe not!!! I’m not sure about this one: my Aunt  said she could see a lot of me in Deeta and my Sister said I was more like Jan. As Jan and Deeta have COMPLETELY different personalities I think they must be telling me that I have a split personality!!! I’d like to hope I had Adele’s patience and understanding but I guess you’ll have to ask my family and friends (you’ll probably need to do it when I’m out of earshot though!).

As to which one I’d most like to be with….oh sorry, you didn’t mean like that!


Do you become so wrapped up in your writing that your spouse wonders if they're married to you or one of your characters?

I’m not married so I don’t have that problem ;-P

However my Sister Amy can get a bit miffed sometimes because she says I spend more time with my characters than with her!!! My Mum’s the same, I tend to take a pad and pen with me where ever I go and will suddenly start scribbling away without warning. It drives Mum and Amy nutty!!! ;-P


What type of book do you like reading? Is it the same genre as you write?

I like pretty much anything with adventure and romance! Not keen on horror (I’m a fraidy cat!) or vampire/werewolves (Ditto) but apart from that I’m good to go!


What lengths do you go to to convince us readers that your book has the X factor?

I beg!

On my knees.

I also find bribing them with brownies is effective, fluffy pillows too have their place.

A casual mention that I’m dying of an incurable disease also seems to work wonders *cough* *cough*

Sometimes I tell them my boyfriend’s a hit man and I know where they live…..but I try to stay away from anything hardcore: forcing people to read your book is so vulgar.  ;-P


How do you feel when a reader points out the spelling mistake(s) you have made?


Thankful! I try to offer an error free story but mistakes always creep in, it is very helpful if a reader points any mistakes they have noticed out so that I can change them. I also appreciate the time and effort that they have put in and their interest in making my story better.

What is on your near horizon?
I'm exhibiting at the Devon Show this year!!! I’m really excited about having a book stand and a little nervous too!!! If you’re going to the Devon Show please come and have a look, I’ll be on shopping bays Ave B stand number 151 under the huge banner that reads ‘Buy My Book’!!!
I’m also editing my fourth book ‘Fracture’ which I’m hoping to release early next year and I’ve just started work on ‘Broken City: Truce’ the sequel to Broken City.

Where can we find you for more information?

My web page:  http://www.buymybook.biz/ 




No comments:

Post a Comment